In both work and everyday contexts, technology is supposed to work. In case of playing, another central task emerges: by means of technology emotions are to be aroused, even controlled. An area once reserved for human activity is delegated to technology. The depth of penetration and effectiveness of technology are more meaningful than at work or in daily life. Play-specific demands on technology raised. This development has shaped our life since the beginning of the modern technical age. Stefan Poser analyses playing with technology by examples from sports, funfair attractions, and technical toys. He gives basic structures of this new field of technical and cultural history.
Keywords: technology, play, industrialisation, history of technology, cultural history, social history, toys, sports, amusement parks
Contact the author:
Order the book:
Link to the flyer:
Stefan Poser (Dr.) is a historian of technology at the Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg, Germany, vice chair of the history group of the Association of German Engineers, VDI, in Berlin and Secretary General of ICOHTEC. His main fields of research are the societal handling of technology-based risks and the playful approach to technology.
The Author’s Contributions to “Playing with Technology” in English:
- Speed for a Dated Technology: Rowing boats and high-tech in the 19th and 20th Centuries. In: ICON 15 (2009), pp. 119-137.
- Leisure Time and Technology. In: Europäische Geschichte / European History Online (EGO), ed. by the Institute of European History (IEG), Mainz, German: 3.12.2010, English: 26.9.2011. (28 pp.)
- Playing with Technology: Sports and Leisure. Special issue of ICON, Guest editors: Hans-Joachim Braun and Stefan Poser, 263 pp.
Contributors: Hans-Joachim Braun, Dick van Lente, Jeremy R. Kinney, Rachel Maines, Arwen P. Mohun, Simone Müller-Pohl, Stefan Poser, Carroll Pursell, Joseph Wachelder, James C. Williams. = ICON 19 (2013).
- Playful Celebrations of Technology. Technology at amusement parks, in children’s playrooms and in sports. In: Hans-Joachim Braun, Stefan Poser (guest eds.), Playing with Technology: Sports and Leisure. Special issue = ICON 19 (2013), pp. 244-263.
- ‘Playing with Technology’ as a Subject of ICOHTEC Symposia. In: ICON Symposia Anniversary Edition, ICON 20 (1) (2014), pp. 99-114.